Tainacan is an open-source, powerful and flexible digital repository platform for WordPress. Manage and publish your digital collections just as easily as you post to your blog, having all the tools of a professional repository platform. It can be used for the creation of a digital collection, a digital library or a digital repository for your institutional or personal collection.
Tainacan aims to facilitate the activities of organizing, documenting, disseminating and displaying digital objects based on simple and accessible principles of digital curation. The plugin integrates with the WordPress block engine, making it easy to reuse objects for different and varied uses.
“Metadata and Filters”: Use a metadata standard or choose whatever set of metadata you want to describe the items in your collections. Also, choose which metadata will be used as a filter when browsing collections.
“Faceted Search”. Browse your collection (and let the public browse it) using a faceted search interface with the filters you have chosen.
“Manage Taxonomies”: Manage vocabularies that can be used across all your collections.
“Themes”: The Tainacan plugin has its own default theme, which helps you to showcase your collections in a beautiful and effective manner. But it can also work with any WordPress theme, so interface developers can easily add Tainacan specific features to an existing theme.
“API and Interoperability”: Tainacan implements a RESTful API (read and write) to allow other applications to interact with your repository. That way, you can expose your collection in different formats, such as JSON, JsonLD, OAI-PMH and others. If your collection has a specific set of metadata, you can map this metadata to match the patterns you want to use.
“Gutenberg blocks”: Tell stories with your collections. Tainacan offers you several Gutenberg blocks so you can present your collections to the public in many different ways!
After installation, you will see a new menu item in your admin panel called “Tainacan”. Click on it to open the Tainacan admin interface.
To get an overview of the main concepts of Tainacan, please visit this page.
Create a collection
Click “New Collection” to create a new collection, use a mapping standard or import it using one of our importers.
Configure your collection
Navigate to the top menu to set your collection up. Create the metadata that items in this collection will have, and choose, from these metadata, which ones are going to be used as a filter.
Back to the “Items” screen, click “Add new” to create a new item.
Manage and browse your collection
Through this admin interface you can manage your collection and browse its item using the faceted search interface or advanced search interface.
If you want to visit your collections in the public side of your site, using your current theme, visit http://your-site/collections and you will get the list of your collections.
Set up Taxonomies
You can also have metadata as taxonomies, which you can configure with a set of hierarchical terms of your own vocabulary.
Add links to your menu
Edit your menu and links directly to your collections. Click “Screen options” at the top of the Edit Menu page and enable “Collections”.
If you want to add a link to the list of collections, click “View all” tab on the Collections box on the left, and then add the first item named “Collections” to the menu.
Faceted search in your theme
To have a fully-featured faceted search in your theme, you can either make it compatible with a few templates or use our Faceted Search Block.
Find out more
This plugin provides 20 blocks.
- Tainacan Search Bar Set up a custom search bar to redirect to an item's list
- Tainacan Item Metadatum A single item metadatum, including a label and its value.
- Tainacan Geo Coordinate Item Metadatum A single item geocoordinate metadatum, containing location information.
- Tainacan Collection's Items List Dynamically list items from a Tainacan items search
- Tainacan Item Metadata Section A single metadata section, including its label and metadata whitin it.
- Tainacan Related Items List A set of lists to display items related to a certain item via relationship metadata.
- Tainacan Collection's Items Carousel List items on a Carousel, using search or item selection.
- Tainacan Item Metadata Sections The metadata sections, including their labels and metadata whitin it.
- Tainacan Faceted Search A full items list faceted search from either the repository, a collection or a term.
- Tainacan Collections List Expose collections from your Tainacan repository
- Tainacan Item Media Gallery The media gallery of the item, displaying document, attachments and more.
- Tainacan Terms List Expose terms from your Tainacan taxonomies
- Tainacan Item Metadata The item metadata, including their labels and values.
- Tainacan Item Submission Form A public item submission form, to allow visitors to create items drafts.
- Tainacan Facets List List facets from a Tainacan Collection or Repository
- Tainacan Items List Expose items from your Tainacan collections
- Tainacan Collections Carousel List collections on a Carousel, displaying either its thumbnail or a preview of its items.
- Tainacan Terms Carousel List terms on a Carousel, showing their thumbnails or a preview of items.
- Tainacan Metadata Section Description A metadata section description, used to complement information about a metadata section.
- Tainacan Metadata Section Name A metadata section label, used to identify different metadata sections.
Upload the files to the plugins directory and activate it. You can also install and activate directly from the admin panel.
If you have Imagick installed in your server, Tainacan will be able to automatically generate a thumbnail from your PDF files. This is desired but not required.
Contributors & Developers
“Tainacan” is oopbron sagteware. Die volgende mense het bygedra tot die ontwikkeling van hierdie uitbreiding:Contributors