If you use Google Docs to edit and revise content with a team of people, you can now create a draft blog post or page in WordPress without cluttering your web content with inappropriate HTML and inline styles. The tool extracts images and allows you to download them or import them directly into WordPress.
This simplifies what would otherwise be a multistep process of
- Either pasting into the rich text editor or cleaning up the HTML or pasting into code view and recreating styling
- Downloading images from Google Docs, one at a time
- Uploading images into WordPress
Originally created for use by the Insights Newsroom team at Similarweb, this plugin allows editorial teams to collaborate on the writing and editing of a document, including image placement, in Google Docs, quickly turn that content into a draft blog post, and then tweak as necessary in the blog editor.
Works with either the block editor or the classic editor.
For the block editor, basic block metadata is added for paragraphs, headings, unordered lists, and images. Any other content will be displayed as classic blocks, with the option to use the Convert to Blocks function of the editor.
The shortcode [draft_from_google_docs] is available for including this functionality on a public web page. In that case, the content is not imported directly into WordPress but displayed in a format that allows it to be copied and pasted into the WordPress editor. In that case, images associated with the document are displayed in a format that allows you to download them into your computer and upload them one by one into your post or page. Including the download_ok=”1″ attribute within the shortcode means the images will be downloaded into the local WordPress instance. Otherwise, the download links will point to the Google Cloud url for those images.
Thank you to Miroslav Mitev for a code sample on how to download from a url to create WordPress attachments.
RSVPMaker Copyright (C) 2022 David F. Carr This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. See the GNU General Public License at <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>.
- Upload the entire folder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Draft from Google Docs” is oopbron sagteware. Die volgende mense het bygedra tot die ontwikkeling van hierdie uitbreiding:Contributors
Interested in development?
- Default image size now 600px by 600px
- Checks if Classic Editor is active. If not, adds block metadata for paragraph, heading, and images.
- Improved method for stripping unwanted tags on attributes, correcting for the way Google Docs handles unordered lists (bullets)
- Better handling of image sizes. Will use “large” size set in WordPress Media screen under Settings as size to include in copy.
- Additional HTML cleanup functions
- Option to add _blank attribute (open in new tab) to external links
- Initial release